Students studying abroad in Barcelona can choose 1 of 3 different programs:
Option 1 - SIS:
The Liberal Arts, Humanities, Business & Entrepreneurship Semester Program
at Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) offers a personalized classroom atmosphere to students who are looking to rapidly improve their Spanish language skills and gain US credits for major, minor, and elective courses taught in English. Courses at Barcelona SIS are taught in English and/or Spanish, and class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience which allows for individual participation and team projects. Each course includes various excursions that use the city of Barcelona as a classroom.
This is a 12 week program, which is perfect for students that are on a quarter system or looking for a shorter semester. This also means that U.S. Citizens on this program will not have to obtain a study visa (saving time and money) as the program is fewer than 90 days; unless you add on our January Term program before and/or if you stay on for an internship.
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is our most centrally located campus option. SIS boasts fantastic local and international professors, many of whom are working professionals in the field they teach. SIS maintains small class sizes and focuses on experiential learning, which means that students will get individualized attention and will participate actively during class. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection that closely tie the courses to the city itself. The courses offered at SIS encompass international and cross-cultural topics, focusing on the city by discussing local history, art, architecture, literature and geography. Our Spanish Language courses focus on spoken language skills and include useful tools for students to debrief their experiences both in and out of the classroom.
Option 2 - UB:
The Spanish Language & Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB)
will ensure your language abilities skyrocket! This program is designed for international students that are looking to take most of their courses in Spanish, but at a level for non-native speakers – providing you with the perfect balance of challenge and comfort! The UB offers an Estudios Hispanicos program, with classes that reflect Spanish and Latin American culture from different perspectives. Students will be able to choose from courses in English and Spanish that approach topics such as the history, geography, art, literature, politics, and economics… all of which will explore local culture. While students have the option to take classes in English, this program is especially designed for those students seeking the deepest immersion in the Spanish language. This means that in addition to Spanish through language classes, most of the elective courses at UB are available in Spanish but with levels adapted for non-native Spanish speakers. This makes this program very appealing to the students that are willing to take their language skills to the next level.
Founded in 1450, the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is the oldest and largest university in the region of Catalonia with over 90,000 students. The UB has always placed an importance on international relations, and for many years it has been the leader among European universities in hosting international students – with around 5,000 enrolled annually.
Option 3 - UAB:
The International Business & Humanities Semester Program at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
will deliver on all fronts by letting you study in one of Europe’s most vibrant and affordable cities while learning from local professors.This program is perfect for those looking to get their feet wet on a global scale. The chance to learn from an entirely new perspective is priceless…especially in the field of business. You will take courses in English or Spanish for your major, minor, or general education requirements that are customized for study abroad students, all while absorbing Spanish at an astonishing rate thanks to your intensive language course.
Established in 1960, the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is one of the most dynamic universities in Spain. The UAB has been ranked in the top 30 young universities around the world and has received a prestigious award for sustainability. Barcelona SAE’s International Business & Humanities Program is located on two central campuses. One of them is the gorgeous Hospital Sant Pau Campus, a UNESCO World Heritage site and a few minutes walk from Gaudí’s Sagrada Familia! The other campus is located near the Barcelona SAE offices in the Eixample neighborhood of the city, close to Passeig de Gracia and Plaça Catalunya. Classes are spread between the two campuses with time between classes to travel back and forth by metro.
The UAB has a strong focus on International Business and Economics, but also offers a wide variety of courses that revolve around the history and society of Barcelona, Spain, and Europe from different perspectives. These courses will allow you to delve into politics, literature, arts, architecture, sociology, and history. The UAB also offers Spanish Language courses for all levels.
The UAB’s Barcelona campus is specially designed for international students and you will share the campus with students from the United States, Egypt, Brazil, Russia, China, Northern Europe, and other areas around the world.
SPU Partner Program: Tier 3
Seattle Pacific University has partnered with affiliated organizations or host universities that have been vetted for their academic and student support. Partner Programs are eligible for federal, state, and institutional grants and scholarships.
For SPU Partner Programs, you will be charged one quarter of SPU tuition for participation during fall quarter or winter/spring quarters combined. Depending on the tier level of the selected program, an additional fee for tiers 2-10 will be charged. For fee information, see Partner Program Cost
What's Not Included:
- Countdown to Barcelona:Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
- Tuition and Fees
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-speaking Staff
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- A weekend Excursion Outside Barcelona (Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What's Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
Additional Costs to Consider:
- Housing: Pre-arranged apartments or homestays. Students will be invoiced and pay directly to BSAE.
- Additional meals
- Mobile phones and charges
- Confirmation Deposit: A $300 fee will be due as part of your SPU application and considered your commitment to the program. As SPU has a capacity of 50 students every year for Partner Programs, this fee would be refunded if your application was submitted after we reached capacity.
- Provider Application Fees & Deposits (when applicable)
- Visa or residency permit (when applicable)
- Domestic travel to apply for visa (when applicable)
- Travel insurance (optional)
- Generally, students spend more money while they are abroad than during a typical quarter at SPU. These costs vary per student, and are usually associated with extra in-country and personal travel, eating out, entertainment, and purchasing gifts and souvenirs. If you would like more information about general costs of the items mentioned above and/or general affordability of study abroad, please contact us at email@example.com.