SPU Study Abroad
The mission of SPU Study Abroad is to give all students the opportunity to live and learn in a new and different cultural context. The staff of the Study Abroad office work to ensure that students have access to educational experiences that foster their development as global citizens. We strive to provide students with opportunities to develop the skills required to address the challenges of our increasingly interconnected world.
What We Do
SPU Study Abroad is a department of the Office of Academic Affairs. As such, we work to ensure that study abroad is a fully integrated aspect of students’ academic careers at SPU. Our office works in collaboration with other departments and offices at SPU to create a smooth process for all involved with study abroad programs. We advise students who are seeking credit for study abroad programs and work with faculty to create and implement SPU faculty-led programs .
Our PhilosophyAs asserted in the university mission statement “. . . fully committed to engaging the culture and changing the world by graduating people of competence and character, becoming people of wisdom, and modeling grace-filled community.” SPU affirms the importance of a broad and critical education in enriching the lives of students and preparing them for full participation in a changing society.
The following principles which guide the SPU Study Abroad advising process and policies are closely aligned with the spirit of this mission:
- An education experience abroad is intended to enhance a student’s overall educational endeavors at SPU and provide opportunities for intellectual and personal growth.
- Students are encouraged to explore experiences abroad that will expose them to cultures and languages that are different from their own.
- Experiences abroad should provide maximum opportunities for students to integrate and immerse themselves in the educational, cultural and linguistic context of the host location.
- All students who meet the minimum requirements should have access to study abroad regardless of financial need or other personal circumstances.
- All phases of an experience abroad (including application, time abroad and re-entry) provide students with unique opportunities to become increasingly self-sufficient and independent. Students are encouraged to embrace these opportunities.
SPU Study Abroad is a member of or recognizes the following organizations' standards of best practices